Sunday, August 12, 2012

Book #11: The Pact by Jodi Picoult

I have read a few different Jodi Picoult novels and typically enjoy them, so when I saw this at the library a couple of weeks ago, I snagged it.  If you don't want to think, don't read her books.  Picoult picks a morally controversial topic and runs with it.  Her books are ideal for book clubs because they are ideal for discussion...fascinating.

Picoult's style of writing has you wondering exactly what has happened right up until the end and even then you may not have the FULL story.  This story tells of a teenage couple with a supposed suicide pact that goes awry, with one dead and one still alive.  We read different possibilities of what has transpired and the main character's ordeal in jail and in court.  Picoult uses flashback throughout to tell the tale and to develop the relationship of the two teens as well the friendship between their families.

No matter your beliefs on the "hot topics" in the novel, I recommend The Pact.  It is very thought-provoking and well-written.  A made for television movie was created based on the novel.  I haven't seen it yet so I cannot comment as to how it compares to the novel, nor can I recommend it.  Once I watch it, I will try to remember to update this blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment